Monday 23 January 2012

DOCUMENTARY Assignment : Part 2 : Person X Final Piece : Review





 For the front cover of my book I zoomed in and cropped one of the images that features in the book so the cover is more abstract than just putting one of the images on the front cover in it's original size/form. I then selected one of the colours of one of the beads for my title text. I like this as it teams in with the cover image. I like how this image is quite absract and draws the audiences attention into the book, wondering who or what it is about. 


I love these photographs of photographs - it makes the audience feel as if they are delving into my mums personal life with me and my brother as children.


Even though this image shows movement and a slight blur, I really like it. The natural lighting looks gorgeous here and works really well to illuminate my mums hands to show what she's doing. 



I think my images work really well displayed in a book because the order is definately going to be kept as opposed to if I just had loose prints where the order might get mixed up. 


My book is ringbound which I think looks very sleek and simplistic as the ring bind is small.


Overall I think my images look really professional displayed as a book and the order of my images works well to show narrative and show a story of my mums life. When I first started this project I set myself a brief of 'What Mum's Do' - I wanted to show what my mum does for our family and the daily activities of mums (e.g. cooking, cleaning, looking after the family, walking the dog, etc). Through development I veered away from the original brief as I wanted to document my mums life rather than her life as a mum. As I went on different photoshoots I really liked displaying different aspects of her life and wanted to then go down the route of showing how her work life differs from her home life. I wanted to possibly display my images showing my mum at home, then at work, then at home, then at work, etc. With this idea in mind, I found myself liking the images of my mums home life more than the work life, because it is generally more colourful and interesting. So then I decided to include just a few pictures of her work life and mainly her home life. I especially love the photographs of photographs. 

I think I have done well in photographing in the style of my chosen photographer Julian Germain. When I was shooting my images I tried at all times possible to use large apertures to create a narrow depth of field.

At first I struggled a lot with this assignment and didn't know how I was going to show narrative for Person X even though I knew I wanted to photograph on the theme/subject. I attacked the subject by trying to photograph my mum in different environments even though I didn't really know what narrative I was trying to portray. When we did a group Critique in class, I realised where I wanted to go with my images - showing my mums personal life and interests and focus in on things like crosswords and puzzle books which are a part of her life that she enjoys. 

I think my set of images work really well together and my chosen order looks really good and makes the book flow. I love the colours of my book on 'Person X' and think they describe my mum quite well as I have images of her jewellery and clothes which display the colours she likes to wear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment