Friday 27 January 2012

BOOK FAIR PROJECT : How to make paper

You will need:
- Paper (this could be one type or assorted):

Computer paper (printed or unprinted)
Newspaper
Textured paper
Toilet paper
Egg Boxes
Parcel paper
Paper bags
Napkins
Magazines

- Optional paper effects:

Feathers
Flower petals
Ink to create marble effect
Dye (water based or powder based)



This is the piece of paper I made for the cover of my book. I made it using newspaper, water, a blender and some ink. I tore up pieces of newspaper into tiny pieces and put them into the blender with warm water. I then blended up the paper until it formed a pulp/paste. I then tipped out the paste onto a tray which had a tea towel covering it. I then placed another tea towel on top of the pulp and used a sponge to remove any excess liquid from the newspaper and water. After a lot of pressing the tea towels together and squeezing the sponge down, I decided that I could no longer get any more liquid from the newspaper. I then peeled back the top tea towel and used black ink to create the splodges. This looked better when my paper was wet as the rest of it was a dark grey colour so the black splodges faded in more. When my paper dried it faded to a lighter grey colour which made the black splodges more dominant, which I was slightly disappointed about as it wasn't how I intended. 

Once I had chosen the size of my images for my book I cut myself two pieces the same size to make the front and the back cover. I then bound them all together with a ring-bind to properly make it into a book.




No comments:

Post a Comment