Thursday 12 January 2012

DOCUMENTARY Assignment : Part 2 : Task 2 & 3 : Evaluating developmental work







These images were mainly taken at my mums work. I wanted to capture lots of different aspects of her work. Her at the computer, writing notes, drinking coffee at her desk, interacting with people. I really like the images where she is in them but not completely in focus so that you can vaguely see it's her, and know it's her because of the environment she's in. I also tried to take images describing her work life, such as the computer, the security camera moniter, the sign in sheet at the reception she works on, etc. I decided that I didn't really like the images which include her interacting with people, because I want this set of images to be just about her, rather than have other people involved in the set.






 

Here I have tried to capture my mum going about her morning activities; drying her hair, making her breakfast, having her daily Actimel Yoghurt drink. I really like the images of my mum buttering her toast as I have used the narrow depth of feild here, relating back to the Julian Germain images.







This set of images was just to capture one of my mums crossword puzzles which was half completed. I also took a couple of pictures of her straighters but I didn't like the lighting so I stopped photographing them. '05.jpg' is one of my favourite images out of all the ones I have taken for this project.




Here I tried to capture my mum cooking and preparing food. I don't really like any of these images because I feel they are slightly out of context and the viewer wouldn't really know what they add to the set which is supposed to be describing my mums life.











I think that these images are probably my most successful out of all the ones I have taken. I absolutely love the photographs of photographs. I also really like the images of my mums sparkly beaded top and her box of earrings. They really describe her because they are her colours and she loves wearing earrings.









In this shoot I wanted to photograph things at my mums bedside. When I went into her room I found the pile of books as they are positioned in the photographs and the perfume bottle as it's positioned in the photograph. I didn't want to stage them because I thought that it would change the objects' natural environment and I didn't want to change the things that make my mum who she is.



This was another shoot I did revisiting her work. I wanted to capture her on the phone as I didn't really get many images of her on the phone from the first shoot I did. Unfortunately when I got home and got my images up on a larger screen I noticed that they were quite grainy. This may have happened because I had the ISO too high. I was disappointed in these images, so I tried to alter some of them using Photoshop, however, they still looked quite grainy and dark, so I didn't use any in my final set.






In this shoot I was trying to capture all the crosswords that my mum enjoys doing. She often buys crossword and arrowword puzzle books. She is always doing the crossword in the newspaper and she loves words. I wanted to capture this as it is a large part of her personality. I tried photographing them from lots of different angles. Still trying to photograph in the style of Julian Germain, I used large apertures to create a narrow depth of feild, and I feel that this shoot was very successful.




Here are some contact sheets of different shoots I went on to capture the images for my set - 'Person X'. I went to my mum's work a couple of times, photographed objects around the home that represent her and taking photographs of photographs of her. I especially like the photographs of photographs, they are very aesthetically pleasing and are as if the viewer is delving into a part of my mums life.


No comments:

Post a Comment