Tuesday 22 November 2011

DOCUMENTARY Assignment : Task 3 : Recreating a photographer's work : Richard Drew






These are the images I have taken in response to Richard Drew's photographs of 9/11. All of Drew's images from 9/11 have a really cool colour palette due to all of the ash and debris created by the attack on the World Trade Center. His images also often have very wide angles where people appear quite small. To create these images I went into York on a very grey day to capture the cool tones within his images. I then went up onto the York Walls to have a good view and take pictures with a wide angle and make people appear smaller as I was taking them from a height. My images could never be a true recreation of Drew's images because I could never revisit the event of 9/11. I shot these on a grey day trying to recreate the grey and cool tones in his images. It was difficult to get the exact colours because the grey tones in Drew's images were created by ash, smoke and debris, yet the sky was very blue and the sun was shining to create contrast. In my images the sky was very grey and the sun wasn't out. To make my images look more like the ones Drew took on 9/11 I used photoshop to change the colours slightly. I altered the saturation to make them even more grey, then selected the sky and grassy areas using the magic wand tool and increased the saturation to make them look more like the greens and blues in Drew's images.





Here are the images taken by Richard Drew that I was trying to recreate:




No comments:

Post a Comment